HEAD OF EDITORIAL CONTENT, BRITISH VOGUE
|
|
|
This week’s dispatch comes to you live from New York City. I touched down in JFK on Sunday afternoon just as the World Cup final was kicking off and, thanks to the kindness of a fellow passenger, was able to catch some of the action via mobile phone while standing in the endless immigration queue. Shout out to our Spanish brothers and sisters for the epic win!
I don’t know about you, but I’ve been struggling to fill the football-shaped hole left in my heart ever since. That said, the Big Apple is full of major distractions. And, as far as I’m concerned, shopping is practically a sport. First up though, a trip to my hair-braiding fairy godmother uptown.
Closer to home, it feels like wedding season is in full swing. How beautiful and happy did Mel C look for her big day in Cumbria? That said, my vote for the fashion bride of the season couldn’t be more rock’n’roll…
|
|
|
Adventures in hairbraiding
|
|
|
Micka’s salon in Harlem was the first stop on my New York itinerary. She’s known for her work under hairstyling genius Jawara and was fresh from working her magic at Dolce & Gabbana’s Alta Moda show in Sicily. Micka did my hair for the Met a few years ago, something I was reminded of when I saw Awar Odhiang at the gala this year – the gorgeous Chanel model called on Micka to create her look. Micka’s attention to detail is matched only by her speediness: this intricate hairstyle took just over three hours to complete.
|
|
|
I’ve known the designer Batsheva Hay for what feels like aeons. I was among the lucky few who got to try on her very first samples over a decade ago, so her cosy boutique on Elizabeth Street is practically a home away from home. Hay is a native New Yorker, so naturally the Knicks’s historic win this summer was a big deal for her – her one-of-a-kind champion T-shirt dresses are adorable and wildly collectible. Some exciting news for fans of the brand: Batsheva is currently working on a lingerie line, so watch this space!
|
The ultimate gothic bride
|
Although the images of Gabriette and Matty Healy’s wedding have yet to hit the internet, Vogue got the inside scoop on the final bridal fitting. The Los Angeles-born model has a distinctive, darkly romantic sense of style that’s all her own, so I was not in the least bit surprised that she cited Bram Stoker’s Dracula as a reference for her Matières Fécales bridal looks. All three outfits are pretty breathtaking and totally rock’n’roll, and yet, with its extensive hand-pleating and exquisitely dishevelled hemline, the first is undoubtedly the pièce de résistance. It’s easily one of the most showstopping unconventional bridal dresses in recent memory.
|
|
|
Dennis Marina Beaded Crocheted Cotton-Blend Tank
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment